Compensation: $66,197.91 - $91,281.63
Under general supervision, performs professional level work in the area of transportation planning, in the absence of the Executive Director, performs duties of the Executive Director related to MPO functions, and is responsible for direct supervision of the Transportation, Technical Services and Transit programs.
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
As the Sun Corridor MPO Deputy Director, responsibilities include managing a variety of projects related to the development of regional transportation plans and programs, major transportation investment studies, development of management systems, and transit service planning for the Sun Corridor MPO region. This position requires utilizing technology and a high degree of independence, and regularly requires discretion and independent judgment in determining approaches to be used for most areas of responsibilities and evaluating results.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Unified Planning Work Program work as negotiated with the Arizona Department of Transportation, including but not limited to: data collection, regional planning, and consultation with elected officials, state system improvements, local system improvements, population data, and transit.
- Effectively managing a Five Year Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), including calls for projects, TIP Amendments, and the Air Quality Conformity Process.
- Rapid response to requests for technical assistance from member agencies.
- Perform quantitative analyses and author transportation related technical and policy reports.
- Facilitate public involvement in various planning processes.
- Write effective, detailed Scopes of Work for various Transportation and Transit plans and studies.
- Manage consultant teams for various plans and studies, including but not limited to, transit plans, safety studies, and long range transportation studies.
- Manage and implement contracts for transportation programs.
- Participate on regional and state tasks forces and stakeholder groups.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in decision-making.
- Research, interpret, and respond to federal and state regulations.
- Make recommendations for, and provide assistance with, department budget and program reporting requirements.
- Utilize technology for the purposes of providing relevant transportation and population forecasting.
- Coordinate and partner with federal, state, and local transportation agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: Sun Corridor MPO offers a hybrid model of work. Some in-person meetings and office time are required. Telework is at the sole discretion of the Executive Director.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree (master’s degree preferred) in transportation planning, urban and regional planning, or a related field, and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Requirements: Must possess a valid Arizona driver’s license without restrictions. Depending on the needs of the Organization, incumbent may be required to obtain certain technical certifications.