Transportation Driver - FT
Start Date: 07/01/2021 Compensation: $15.51 per hour - $19.38
DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision of the Transportation Manager, provides public transportation services to shopping centers, doctor’s offices, work, school, day care, etc. in a safe and timely manner; operates a city bus in accordance with city, state, and federal regulations; and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
- Drive and operate buses safety and efficiently in accordance with local laws and ordinances, and other standards and guidelines for drivers.
- Drive buses within designated routes and stops while maintaining a set schedule (Fixed Route).
- Drive buses to designated pickup/drop-off points listed on manifest within designated time constraints (ADA/Paratransit).
- Greet and assist citizens and customers in a manner consistent with excellent customer service standards.
- Perform daily vehicle checks (pre and post trip inspections) to ensure equipment safety. Observe, document, and report vehicle safety or other safety issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain cleanliness of buses, especially the interior (daily) and exterior.
- Coordinate with the fleet supervisor to determine the safety and serviceability of the vehicle.
- Coordinate with Transit Dispatch for route deviations and instructions.
- Comply with FTA Substance Abuse Policy and other personnel practices.
- Maintain required certifications and licenses and immediately notify management of any incident that could influence license status and ability to meet license requirements.
- Assist customers on and off of the transit vehicles.
- Secure wheelchairs and mobility devices.
- Collect fares and passenger passes or transfers.
- Refuel bus each day.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of the various medical, dental, and social organizations in the Verde Valley.
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures of the Transportation Department.
- Knowledge of the traffic patterns in the Verde Valley.
- Knowledge of vehicular preventive maintenance.
- Skill in defensive driving techniques.
- Skill in conducting two-way radio communications.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective interpersonal relations.
- Skill in performing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in maintaining composure during crisis situations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This classification involves light to heavy lifting and carrying due to passengers/parcels as required on and off the van wheelchair lift/ramp. This classification involves work driving transportation vehicles around the Verde Valley.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The equivalent of a high school diploma or GED and two (2) years driving multi-passenger commercial vehicles. The possession of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class C, with passenger endorsement is required or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days upon employment offer. Must have or be able to obtain a Level One Fingerprint Clearance card.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: All new hires for the Cottonwood Area Transit System department are required to pass a post-job offer, pre-employment physical and drug test. All employees who work in the Cottonwood Area Transit system department will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
With an elevation of 3,300 feet, Cottonwood is a small but growing community situated in the heart of the Verde Valley, which is located 90 miles north of Phoenix and 50 miles south of Flagstaff, at the base of Mingus Mountain. We have convenient shopping, hotels, restaurants, and a picturesque Historic Old Town, bustling with activity. Visit the local vineyards and tasting rooms, ancient Indian ruins, historic parks, landmarks, and ghost towns. Explore the hiking trails, golf at our scenic courses, or kayak down the beautiful Verde River. Enjoy the perfect balance of job satisfaction and phenomenal quality of life the area has to offer!