Compensation: $66,950 - $89,933
This recruitment is open until the position is filled or a sufficient number of applications have been reviewed to establish a qualified candidate pool.
$66,950 to $89,933 Annually
Department / Division:
Engineering & Transportation/ Transit
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
The City of Tempe participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined Benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.41% ) ASRS pension plan includes a Long-Term Disability Benefit. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, sick leave, holiday and short-term disability. Our employees have generous insurance options for medical, dental, vision and life. For more details, visit: https://www.tempe.gov/government/internal-services/human-resources/careers/benefits-summary
The purpose of this position is to perform professional planning work in the areas of transportation planning, and transit planning; and to act as project manager of assigned projects.
The essential functions of this position may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Coordinate transportation planning projects or studies such as high capacity transit corridor planning, comprehensive transportation plan development, air quality plans, parking and transportation demand management, transit route planning, transportation model development and maintenance.
• Participate in the planning and development of the City’s capital improvement plan as it relates to transit facilities, bicycle and pedestrian improvements, mass transit stops, street improvements, and neighborhood traffic management planning; provide capital improvement and operating budget estimates for transit related projects.
• Participate in the planning, design of major transit capital projects including transit centers, rail studies and implementation, standard and artistically designed bus stop improvement and installation programs, new and retrofit landscaping projects, and fueling facilities, including alternate fuels and electric charging stations.
• Coordinate with traffic engineering, traffic operations, engineering and other City divisions and departments for bus priority treatments and intelligent transportation system applications, design and installation including bus pull-outs, signal timing technologies, dedicated bus lanes and “queue jumpers.”
• Prepare reports as required by Arizona Department of Transportation, United States Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, Federal Railroad Administration, Federal Highways Administration, such as National Transit Database, Asset Management Inventory and others.
• Assist in the preparation or coordination of transportation demand forecasting models for small focused areas, citywide and regional Maricopa Association of Governments model. Work with travel demand forecasting software, and transit planning software similar to TRANSCad and HASTUS.
Requires two (2) years of professional experience in transportation or transit planning or architectural design. Experience in a professional area directly related to the core functions of this position including transit systems operations and oversight, transportation engineering or a related field may also be considered.
Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Requires the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in city and regional planning, transportation planning, civil engineering, transportation engineering, landscape design, architectural design, transportation planning or a degree related to the core functions of this position.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.
For the complete job description go to:
This position is FLSA Exempt which means it is not eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position belong to the United Arizona Employee’s Association (UAEA) employee group.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.